Meconium Aspiration Syndrome (MAS) is a medical condition that can occur in newborns when they inhale a mixture of meconium (the baby’s first stool) and amniotic fluid into their lungs before, during, or after birth. Meconium is typically passed by a baby in the womb and is normally expelled after birth as a thick, greenish-black substance. However, in some cases, a baby can pass meconium into the amniotic fluid surrounding them.
When a newborn inhales meconium-stained amniotic fluid into their lungs, it can lead to respiratory problems and other complications. The meconium can block the airways, making it difficult for the baby to breathe and leading to a decreased oxygen supply to the infant’s vital organs.
Meconium Aspiration Syndrome can cause a range of symptoms, including:
- Rapid or labored breathing: The baby may breathe rapidly or have trouble breathing.
- Cyanosis: The baby’s skin, lips, or nails may appear bluish due to inadequate oxygen levels.
- Grunting: The baby may make grunting noises while breathing.
- Nasal flaring: The baby’s nostrils may flare out while breathing.
- Retractions: The baby’s chest may appear to sink in just below the ribcage and the skin may pull in between the ribs with each breath.
- Lethargy or low muscle tone: The baby may be weak or listless.
Meconium Aspiration Syndrome can be a serious condition, and affected newborns may require immediate medical attention and intervention. Treatment may involve suctioning the meconium from the airways, oxygen therapy, mechanical ventilation, and antibiotics to prevent or treat infection.
In some cases, Meconium Aspiration Syndrome can lead to long-term respiratory issues or other complications. When MAS occurs due to medical negligence during labor and delivery, it may result in a birth injury claim or lawsuit seeking compensation for the child’s injuries and medical expenses.
If your child suffered from MAS due to medical negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Get help with your birth injury claim by contacting the birth injury attorneys here at Merson Law PLLC.